Pages

google analytics

Friday, June 23, 2017

The Fighter Still Remains


I was listening to some music tonight as I cleaned, and painted, and readied to leave one house, and one job, and packed, and prepared to move into another new house, and another new life.

I listened to old blues guitarists, and gospel families, and country western classics, and folk singers. One of the songs that played during all of this was the Simon and Garfunkel song, "The Boxer." It's a great song; one that I've written about before. But it hit me again anew, especially the lines:

In a clearing stands a boxer
and a fighter by his trade
and he carries the reminders 
of ev'ry glove that laid him down
and cut him till he cried out
in his anger and his shame
'I am leaving, I am leaving,
but the fighter still remains.'

And I knew that this is a song about me; I am that scarred and battered boxer. I am leaving, yes. But  the fighter still remains.

lie la lie lie la lie lie la lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails